The Perthshire Highland village of Pitlochry is just a few miles south of the Cairngorms National Park boundary. It is a beautiful Victorian town, whose success as a tourist resort was due to Queen Victoria visiting the area in 1842, and the arrival of the railway in 1863. It remains a very popular tourist resort today and is often a key stop off point before entering the Cairngorms National Park at Killiecrankie. The town has retained many stone-built Victorian buildings and the high street offers a wide range of restaurants and specialist gift shops. There are wonderful walks along the main river, The Tummel, and through the woods around Loch Faskally, where you can participate in fishing and other water sport activities. An unusual but popular attraction at Pitlochry Power Station and Dam is a salmon ladder, which helps the fish by-pass the dam and get into Loch Faskally. Downstream is the nationally renowned Pitlochry Festival Theatre, which puts on a wide range of shows and plays.